Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Wait

Note originally posted on Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 12:47pm

I hate this time of year. It's cold, the flu is running rampant (oink oink) and video game developers are all in hibernation in their snug little caves made of $100 bills. Its basically 6 months of replaying the same excellent games and drooling over scraps of news until spring.

On a better note however, I just picked up a new GeForce 9500 GT and a 1TB external HDD. Since I've been running my PC for a while without a Grapics card at all, it's good to finally be able to PC game again. I can also recommend Steam to anyone who's interested in playing PC games. (http://store.steampowered.com/)

Steam basically allows you to buy and download most games available at the moment. It's incredibly easy and only requires a credit card to make the purchase. Once you buy, the game is stored online until you decide you want to play it, at which point you download and install it. Obviously, you need a good internet connection for this. It took me about an hour to download Dawn Of War II.

I also need to point out that Dawn Of War II is totally awesome and has saved me from gaming boredom for the last few weeks. The mechanics of the game itself are sweet and easy to get into (except for those freakin Terminators and their tendancy to run the fuck away from everything! I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HARDCORE!!!) and it totally differs from the originals. It's well worth picking up if you're bored and into WH40k.

I'm probably going to pick up Crysis later this week. I downloaded the demo the other day and it impressed me and since I can pick the original up for $29.95 or the full pack with Warhead for $59 (everything is waaay cheaper on Steam) I think it's definetly worth the look. I had it running at 60fps on medium so I think I should be able to bump some of the settings up to max and make it look really shiny.

So that's life at the moment. Gobbling scraps of info on all the sequals coming out later this year and indulging in some much needed PC gaming.

Cheerio cats.

Update: Just got a second set of Terminator armour and gave it to my assault squad along with a Thunder Hammer and Storm shield... They now do 740 damage in melee which is about 300 more damage than my FRIGGING DREADNAUGHT! I rescind my previous statement about Terminators... Thaddeus took on almost a whole map full of Tyranid's by himself with minimal healing help from my commander and a bit of heavy cover from my Devastator squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment